ISO 27001 is a specification for an information security management system (ISMS). An ISMS is a framework of policies and procedures that includes all legal, physical and technical controls involved in an organisation’s information risk management processes.
ISO 27001 benefits include:
- Protects your reputation
- Provides reassurance to clients that their information is secure
- Improved information security awareness
- Shows commitment to information security at all levels throughout your organization
- Reduces staff-related security breaches
- It can provide a framework to ensure the fulfilment of commercial, contractual and legal responsibilities
- It provides a significant competitive advantage, and can effectively be a license to trade with companies in certain regulated sectors
- It provides for inter-operability between organisations or groups within an organisation
- It can provide compliance with, or certification against, a recognised external standard which can often be used by management to demonstrate due diligence.